Question and answer
Ask your question and an Ontario employment lawyer will answer in minutes


Note, your name, city and email is not displayed on the website. It is used to notify you that we have answered your question.

I have been placed on administrative leave because someone filed a complaint about my attendance and overall attitude at work. I have the most senior position in a retail store. My question is should I admit to my alcohol problem to save my job and will this save my job if the investigation shows I did have poor attendance and frequent leave early come in late.

My name is Jon Pinkus and I am a partner in the employment and labour group at Samfiru Tumarkin LLP.

If you have an alcohol addiction, you should always disclose it to your employer and do so as soon as possible. It is also strongly recommended that you seek medical treatment as soon as possible, including rehabilitative therapy or anything else recommended by your doctor. Keep your employer updated as to all medical treatment you are seeking and your progress.

It may not save your job, but you will at least have a better case that you should be owed severance if they terminate your employment.

Kindly note that if your employment is terminated, you have two years from the date of your notice of termination to file a claim.
The Lawyers at Samfiru Tumarkin LLP
Direct Tel (Toll Free): 1-855-821-5900     Email:     Web:
Leave a comment